Internal Medicine is the medical branch dealing with metabolic and functional alterations of bodily systems and organs which is considered a medical and non-surgical therapy.
Its branches are:
- infectious diseases
- gastrointestinal, liver and pancreas diseases
- respiratory system diseases
- genitals and urinary tract infections
- cardiovascular system diseases
- haematology and onco-haematology
The internist is a fundamental figure able to connect the anamnesis (case history told by the owner) with the symptoms observed and is able to confirm the clinical suspicion with the aid of instrumental exams, and finally devise appropriate therapy for the diagnosis.